Information we may collect from you
When you register, use the Website or enter into a transaction with us:
- You may be asked to provide certain information by filling in forms on the Website and to submit them to us;
- You might send us information in emails and letters;
- You might provide information relating to group activities or discussions; and
- We will retain details of your visits to the Website (including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data), and the resources that you access.
How we use the information provided to us
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to register you with the Website and to administer the Website services;
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you (where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes), or involve you willingly in certain user group activities;
- to ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective and appropriate manner for you and for your computer;
- to link you in, with your consent to relevant live discussion groups;
- to enable us to improve our services and to pursue our aims to encourage and facilitate smoking cessation;
- to help us collect information and statistics about smoking, smokers and techniques to stop smoking;
- to notify you about changes to our services;
- for assessment and analysis for our analytical and health improvement activities; and
- for any other purpose which you have specifically consented to when providing the information.
If you have provided us with your contact details, we may contact you using any of the contact details provided. We are not involved in any direct marketing purposes and will not contact you to market to you.
To protect you, us and others from deception fraud and theft, we may pass on information that we obtain from you or our identity checks to certain organisations (including law enforcement services).
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your information to third parties:
- who may use it for the same purposes and with similar aims to our Website described above;
- who process information and provide support services on our behalf:
- who are our employees and agents so that they can administer your contract and involvement with us and the user discussion groups on the Website;
- to whom we transfer our rights or duties under any agreements with you.
We may disclose your information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose. We may share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation upon us, or to protect our visitors, patients, employees’ or agents’ rights, property or safety.
IP Addresses and Cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregated information. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies are elements of data which contain information that is transferred to your computers’ hard drive browser and stored on your system. They help us to see which pages of the Website have been visited and so improve the Website to deliver a better and more personalised service.
They enable us:
- to estimate a web page’s audience size and usage pattern;
- to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise the Website according to your individual interests;
- to speed up your searches; and
- to recognise you when you return to the Website.
Cookies do not contain confidential data such as your name, credit card details etc.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide is stored on our or our vetted and contracted agents’ secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential and its use, in whatever circumstances. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Website. Therefore, you accept that any transmission is at your own risk and you will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or willful default. Once We have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. We will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires.
If you have previously consented to us keeping your data you may change your mind at any time. Once you have unsubscribed we will only use the data we have in connection with aggregating statistical and analytical information for the purposes of improving the Website and our “Stop Smoking Campaign”. We will not retain and use your data for marketing purposes. If you wish to unsubscribe, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Unit 3 Doolittle Mill, Froghall Road, Ampthill, Bedfordshire, MK45 2NX.
Whilst we will generally not carry advertising, the Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of networks, advertisers and affiliates sharing our aims and goals. If you follow a link to any of these third party websites, please note that such other websites are completely separate and unrelated to us, have their own privacy policies and that accordingly we do not and cannot accept any responsibility or liability for your usage of such websites. Please check these third party websites’ privacy policies before you submit any personal data to them.
Access to and updating of information
You have the right to access certain personal data we hold about you. A written request for information is required and this may be subject to a fee to meet our costs. Such fee will be no greater than the then current maximum figure recommended by the Information Commissioner.
You have the option to provide us with an update of any information held by us about you where this information has changed. To do this, please contact us in writing at Protea House, New Bridge, Marine Parade, Dover, Kent CT17 9HQ.
The Website may use Flash technology to enhance your experience. If so, and if your computer does not currently have Flash, the Websites are designed to automatically display non-Flash graphic alternatives. Flash is supported by Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers. Flash has to be downloaded, but only once, and it is free.